It is true, that cashmere item is the perfect investment and can be used all year round. As you noticed, 100% cashmere is quite expencive. So, why it is so? What is the difference from other kind of wool? What can you do to keep cashmere in the best condition for as long as possible? How to wash, dry and store this luxurious material?
What is cashmere?
Cashmere is made from the processing of the hair of the Capra Hircus that lives on the Tibetan highlands, in the Himalayas and principally in Mongolia. This animal produces a particularly fine wool that is soft and warm, which protects it from the harshness of winter (-40° C). To survive those extreme conditions they have a special coat structure: The outer hair is coarse and waterproof. The second layer, the undercoat is surprisingly soft and provides the goat with warmth – only this part is used in the production of cashmere.
Why is cashmere so expensive?
The demand for cashmere is much higher than its production.It can't be produced all the time, there are specific seasons for that. The wool is very labor intensive and the transport costs are high.
Cashmere – Dry clean only?
Contrary to the common belief, dry cleaning cashmere is not necessarily a good idea. The toxic chemicals used for dry cleaning can break down the fibers.
How to wash and care for cashmere?
How to give cashmere the respect it deserves and how to keep it in good condition for many, many years.
1. Hand wash only! Use two capfuls cashmere shampoo or baby shampoo.
2. Fill your sink with cool water. Submerge shawl or blanket to make sure it is evenly soaped all over and massage gently with your fingertips. Now allow the garment to soak for 10-30 minutes.
3. Rinse your shawl or blanket with cool water until there is no soap left.
4. Gently press the water out without wringing! Just place it on a dry towel and roll it up. Now allow the shawl or blanket to air-dry!
5. Do not hang cashmere as it will de-shape your garment!
6. Do not to “over-wash” cashmere! Only wash it a few times a season and use a freshening spray between washes.